Monday, August 27, 2012

Use It or Lose It Isn't Helping



I have come to the realization that I am not getting dumb.
I have already "got" dumb.
I have only one explanation... 
my nemesis Dead Estrogen.
I used to be an intelligent person.
I received excellent grades with little or no effort.
I spoke well and I could back it up.
I knew stuff.
I knew where Persia was on the map.
I knew Persia was now called Iran.
Currently,
I am not sure I could fill in all the states on
a blank U.S. map.
Honestly...
Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut
it is all a blur.
I am forever saying words that sound similar
and mean nothing alike.
Last week, on this blog
I said edition when clearly I meant addition.
I do it all. the. time.
I have jokingly said I have the 
vocabulary of a 4th grader.
In actuality, I have the vocabulary of
a dumb 4th grader.
ugh.
Last week I was talking to a friend...
yada yada yada
blah blah blah
(a skill I still master)
I was saying " I have a nice camera
but I don't use it much.
I like to be in the action and not the one behind it.
When I am taking pictures, I feel like I am missing the fun.
I need to take someone along to use it for me.
I am just not much of a picture taker."
 Seriously??
Picture taker.
Perhaps Janie, you mean photographer.
I have decided when I hire a photographer 
to follow me around to document my life
I need to also hire a public speaker.
I am getting a really smart one too...
one who has a 6th grade vocabulary.
Dumb or not, I'm fancy like that.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At August 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm going to be tested this week and will apply for the public speaker position. I'm pretty sure I can pass the 6th grade vocabulary test (if I hurry before more of MY estrogen dies). Don't ever expect me to fill in for the photographer though.

 
At August 27, 2012 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Jensamom23 said...

Hmmm....I wonder what it means when I understand everything you write without a second thought....

 
At August 27, 2012 at 6:17 AM , Blogger Debby said...

I think you are quite normal. My husband makes up alot of words and we laugh at them. When I have my headaches I talk backwards. He will look at me like I have lost it. Very weird, I know.

 
At August 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Julie said...

I didn't even notice your slip with edition/addition.

So clearly I have the dumb, too.

I always knew we were a perfect match.

 
At August 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Feisty Irish Wench said...

I saw something somewhere that a study was done and the result came back that every child kills a mother's cognitive function by about 7%. So far, I'm already down 28% and it's just getting worse with all the preschool television programming on the various boob toobs in my house.
It's almost like Kelly Bundy brain - one fact in, one fact out. In my case, LOTS of facts out and gone forever, not always replaced by anything except crushed pretzels.

 
At August 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also said I'm not much of a picture taker. And I meant it!

 
At August 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Karen Deborah said...

that is the beginning, next your thoughts will all be rabbit trails.
down 14 pounds!

 
At August 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Judy said...

I am certain that whenever I diet all I loose are boobs and brain cells.
And words? I can NEVER remember which word is "way" and which word is "why". And there is no way that I know why this is happening, except perhaps that my dead hormones are to blame. Always blame the dead, I say. As they're not coming back. They took their revenge in dying.

 
At August 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

I never used to re-read the emails I type to people, until I turned 50. . . omgosh, my by's are my's my can'ts are don'ts. . .wot. . . I have so many typo's. . . I love you Janie Fox you make me happy, keep on bloggin sista. . . prayers going up for you for making so many of us happy. . . we read, we hear, we smile, we appreciate! xoxo

 
At August 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM , Blogger ain't for city gals said...

I use to be the picture taker for my family..I passed the torch. I got tired of seeing life squinting into a little view finder. Much more fun to just enjoy the moment...

 
At September 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM , Blogger The Boston Lady said...

Really? Persia is now Iran? I consider myself somewhat informed, but m awful at geography. Lately with the move, my brain is not fuctioning properly. I cannot drive without a GPS, I have no idea where I actually am in California and I'm not quite sure what day it is. Tomorrow I am told we will drive towards the beach. Oh really? I will go along for the ride and absorb nothing except the ultimate destination. Okay, so I have the excuse of being a newbie in a new town. But seriously, I was like this before we moved. I never knew what day of the month it was.... I miss my brain. Ann

 
At September 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Oh my, my post-menopausal brain is so befuddled that I barely recognize myself. Words just disappear from my vocabulary, sentences are not what they used to be, and I don't like it one bit. I used to pride myself on being a quick thinker. Not so much anymore:-(

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blather. I read every comment. They make my heart happy!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home