Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A child's wisdom



On Abbie's 2nd day of her hospital stay
she had a nurse who I referred to as Zilch.
It was indicative of her personality.
She had none.
Maybe she was tired, 
maybe she had something not good happening.
Either way, she was not good at her job on this day.
I tried smiling at her and being friendly.
She didn't reciprocate.
But that is okay.
Later in the day Abbie showed her the picture 
of Maggie's littlest, Penelope
sporting her new glasses.
 
The nurse said "oh, that's too bad."
Seriously?
2 of my 6 grandchildren wear glasses.
I think they are adorable.
I wish people could see the error in that kind of thinking.
Why do they think different is less than?
We are all way more alike than we are different.
We all want the same in life.
To love and be loved.
It hurt my heart.
But then Annie told me a story about Aubrie 
and my heart soared.
 
 
When she told Aubrie about baby Cliff
Aubrie asked "does he have Down Syndrome?"
Annie said "no he doesn't."
Aubrie asked "are you sure? Did they do tests?"
Annie said "yes they did and he doesn't have it."
Aubrie said "well, maybe next time Abbie
can have a baby with Down Syndrome."
Out of the mouths of babes.

(Aubrie's little sis, Ollie)

Psalm 139:13-14
 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
 
 
 

17 Comments:

At September 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Joy said...

Amen. That child is brilliant.

 
At September 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Kathi said...

Being able to see the special gifts life brings is an enormous blessing.. a supernatural ability... one you and your family possess. Life is full of joy and sorrow and it takes both to appreciate the gifts each bring. Many blessings to you all.... Congratulations on the new addition!!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Jensamom23 said...

May I just say that I that Nurse Zilch could learn a thing or two from Miss Aubrie. You are all indeed blessed.

 
At September 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Debby said...

I agree. Nurse Zilch needs to meet up with Miss Aubrey. Bless her heart. How sweet was that. Warms my heart. Ollie's picture makes me smile.

 
At September 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Darby & Sheri said...

You have some beautiful and highly intelligent grand kids! Nurse Z of all people should know the beauty of all of God's children. Pia is super fab with those rockin' glasses, clearly Nurse Z has no fashion sense. I am getting ready to go snuggle on your newest grandbabe.....little big head has stolen my heart!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I love you, Janie.
I love you, Penelope.
I love you, Aubrey!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger The Boston Lady said...

I had read Annie's FB post about Miss Aubrie's wise words. Nurse Zilch sounds like she may need a change of scenery, how could you work the maternity ward and be that clueless? And not smile a lot? We never know what others may be going through, I hope Nurse Z gets her mojo and heart back. Meanwhile nothing's wrong with Aubrie's mojo. She's amazing! Of course, a total reflection of the family she is growing up in. Ann

 
At September 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM , Blogger flower power momma said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Absolutley perfect and thankyou for sharing it w/us. Poor Zilch... but there are not enough words for Aubrie's attitude. Wow.
!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Farmgirl Paints said...

she's a doll with those glasses. out of the mouths of babes is right...precious!!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Blogger momof4inNY said...

You have the best grandchildren ever!!!

 
At September 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

What a precious and smart little girl Aubrie is! What a blessing!!

 
At September 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Judy said...

So far, the grand kids glasses are all in the dress-up box. But they are all hoping to have them "for really" some day.
Clifford is blessed to be born into a family filled with such amazing love for each other!

 
At September 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Karen Deborah said...

sigh***love***sigh

 
At September 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM , Blogger Privet and Holly said...

Hi Janie, IG friend : )

I had the opposite reaction
when I saw that sweet one
with her glasses on IG. My
mom is visiting and I said,
"You have to see this!" and
we both slobbered over her
cuteness!! I also showed her
Cliff's pic {man is he alert} and
she remembered that I was
born with a ton of dark hair,
too! Fell out after a week or
so and came in blonde : )

Soak up all that baby goodness,
Janie, and keep the pics coming!!

Happy Friday,
xo Suzanne

 
At September 14, 2012 at 4:10 AM , Blogger Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Love.this.Post.
Love. That. Psalm.
Love. That. Pinkpic.
Love. That. Precious AUBRIE!!!!!!
xoxoxoxo

 
At September 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Reenie said...

Ahhhh ~ Aubrie is adorable.


 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Between You and Me said...

what baby perfection in one post!
your grandchildren are blessed indeed to have you!!!

I love your sweet girl's heart!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blather. I read every comment. They make my heart happy!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home