Monday, August 8, 2011

Love not Hate


I know in the past I have said
ignorant, prejudiced things.
Now, I do better.
When you know better, you do better.
I don't use the word retarded anymore.
I have learned it is offensive and mean.
I won't say something stupid is gay.
It is hurtful and wrong.
I won't make racial jokes.
It is so not funny.
 I know the world is sometimes a little too politically correct, 
but when things are said in a demeaning way
I have to call people on it.
Please read my daughter's Annie's blog. 
Promise you will do better.
Let's make a stand.
We are called to love one another.
Let's get out there and do it friends.
 I want to change this world for her.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:11-13

Labels:

8 Comments:

At August 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Heidi Ehle said...

Amen! :)

 
At August 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

Well said!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 4:33 AM , Blogger ain't for city gals said...

Yes, so true janie. I have even found myself editing my comments sometime...I think "That is just not nice to say..why say it"?

 
At August 9, 2011 at 5:34 AM , Blogger jillianw04 said...

janie, I love your transparency! I have had to change my thoughts sometimes too. wonderful post!
-jill

 
At August 9, 2011 at 5:57 AM , Anonymous The Boston Lady said...

Janie, I saw Annie's blog yesterday. It's a hurtful world out there sometimes, but with education, awareness and sensitivity it can be a better world. Ann

 
At August 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM , Blogger Joy Tilton said...

Annie's words are so true, we need to be vocal and make a stand, throw a hissy fit, refuse to allow hurtful words to come into our homes. We can do it with letters, email, just stand up and say, "That's not right, it's not going to help by tearing down people with words." It's just an extension of the bullying that is so prevelent right now. Society is not going to get better unless we take a stand in our own lives and say enough is enough.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Sheila said...

It isn't about being PC...it is, as you say here, (at least this is what I'm reading) about treating every other human being as a blessed and holy, much beloved, creation of God.

Thanks for standing up.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM , Blogger SZM said...

read it yesterday + loved it. Boo Change Up!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blather. I read every comment. They make my heart happy!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home